Friday, February 22, 2008

Leaving for Guangzhou

We are leaving for Guangzhou in the morning. I am looking forward to being in familiar territory! I have much shopping to get done and it will be good to get out of the room. My dad and Tacia have had too much time in close quarters together. I have tried to send them out on little errands and out to lunch and Cade has been in the room with his fevers.

Once this afternoon when Cade was needing to get out, I got them to go down to the street market. My dad has been begging for some clipper and we definitely found some there. We were stopped a few times about Cade and with people wanting their photos taken with Tacia. I handed the people a piece of paper our guide had written for us ... I got many thumbs up. It is amazing how much you can understand from people with a different language is you just listen. One woman had to have her daughter read the note to her. She was so happy about us taking Cade that she had tears in her eyes. She wiped them, pointed at me them touched my chest with a big smile. I have learned from the guide speaking to people who ask her about Cade, that this woman was telling me that I have a good heart.

I know that people have varying opinions about adoption and specifically international adoption or special needs adoption. I have been told that we should have helped a child from the states. I have been told that I am abusing government funds by bringing children with "special needs" home for the military to take care of. I have also been told that I do not support the Navy by adopting special needs children while my husband is on active duty. Well, who are these people anyway and why do they care what I do??? The good news is, I am not bound to follow or obey man ... but God. He and He alone is who I am accountable to. He is the one who opens and closes doors for biological and adopted children. I am humbled that He would choose James and I to care for the children he has given to us. I am also so blessed to be surrounded by LOTS of people who are more than supportive of what God is calling us to. Those closest to us (including ourselves) could not see how God was going to provide but we have all been blessed to see how He has. Our government check is a matter of public knowledge and it simply cannot spread on its own to cover caring for a family our size plus two adoptions in three years. It has been the generosity of others and the Lord multiplying paycheck after paycheck!

I am grateful to all of you for your prayers and support. Now that I have confessed to you some of the attacks the enemy has used from others, I am sure you can see how even more important your encouragement has been. I suppose if the enemy feels the need to attack, we must be doing something right! So as the book of James says, "consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." I am grateful that I am not walking this trial out alone.

9 comments:

  1. Preach on girl, well said! Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful. Hope Cade is feeling better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    My response to those people is "How many children have you adopted?" and that pretty much shuts them up! Or when they ask me why China, I tell them "Because that's what God told us," which usually leaves them speechless too. Just let it roll off your shoulder.

    I figured Tacia's beautiful red hair would maker her a star over there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three adopted children from Guatemala and my niece and her husband (also active duty military) have adopted a special needs son from Russia. Adding children through adoption isn't about the money it costs, now or later, but about being open to a special gift. God will show us the way, we simply have to listen and trust his leadership in our lives. God bless you and your family.

    Ruth
    easter36@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa -

    AMEN! You said it all.
    Prayers being sent your way that Cade is feeling better soon.

    Blessings -

    Cathy (from LCC)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course these people wanted their pictures taken with Tacia - she is gorgeous! What is there not to love?

    I posted more on your family blog about the ignorance of the people that Satan is using to attack you. It's unfortunate, but their souls are in the dark and they choose to not see the light (your good works as an example). Rise above it - when all is said and done, its between you and the Lord anyways.

    Love you,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whether you adopt from the states or another country doesn't matter, all that matters is that you love that precious child with open arms! After going through one local adoption already and seeing what a pain that is--you have the easy road to adoption Lisa, even with all the setbacks with Cade! So tell the next person who adopts in the States that they should look into the long, heartbreaking process before they tell you what to do!!

    Just a thought! Hope you are having fun!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are right on with what you are saying. Stay positive..In the end people's words or thoughts have no effect on your happiness as a family. Hope Cade is feeling better...

    Christine & Mark
    Lulu's Mommy & Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing... I hear similar comments from people who haven't ever ventured into the world of adoption. We fosterd 11 children from the US and watched as half the birth mothers changed their minds. My sister was doing a private US adoption and the birth mother changed her mind after 8 days. It broke my sister's heart. That was one of the reasons we chose international adoption. But it seems to me the Lord will lead each of us to the children he had planned for our families. My sister ended up adopting domestically 2 years later. And we are in the process of our second Chinese adoption. I think God is pleased when any orphan is adopted because they are ALL His children... and he doesn't look at the outward appearance of a man, just the heart.
    Michele N.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen, sister. Prayers coming your way. Jennifer F.

    ReplyDelete