Friday, June 22, 2007

Passport Photos, Applications and Immunizations

Wow, what a couple days we had. I took the kids to get their passport photos at Costco on Wednesday. Costco does the best photos and they were only $5 a pair!!! I wish James and I would have known that when we had to get all of ours.

On Thursday I woke up at 9:45 and sat down to write James. I had went to bed with a headahce (allergies) and woke up with one. Tori walked out and I let her know if she wanted a shower she woudl have to hurry because we had to be to our passport appointment at 11:00. Just as I said this, I looked at the board where the appointment was written down. It says, 10:00!!!!!! Well, I sent Tori to get Jordon and Tacia, I woke Claire, drained her bag and threw clothes on her and myself. We ran out the door and came to a skidding halt in front of the post office at three minutes after our appointment time!! The woman who we were to meet with, was in the restroom :) It was quick and painless.

The following morning I woke to see that Cade's paperwork had made it to the Chinese consulate in San Francisco!!! I am praying that we get it back this next week and can get it sent to our agency right away!

I decided that since we had started the passport process that we should start our immunizations for our trip also. We got through both oldest boys and Claire. Then it was Tori's turn. We were doing well until the nurse went to give her the shot. She pulls away from the woman and says, "NO!" I looked at her sternly and explained that she needed to close her eyes and deal with it. She shut her eyes and we were done in just a few minutes.

Then it was Tacia's turn. She begins to negotiate with us how many immunizations she is going to receive. (She was in need of her last DTaP and the two that everyone else was having to get for our trip.) I let her know that she needed all three and would be getting all three. When the nurse came at her with the needle, she jumped off the table!!! I thought, I know how to take care of this. I looked at her sternly, told her to close her eyes and deal with it. She shuts her eyes and then opens them to see the needle and lunges off the table again this time screaming!!! I am not only shocked but sightly embarrassed. I said, "Tacia, you have to have one of these immunizations to even legally be in school, the other two you have to get to go with us to China. Not getting them in NOT an option." She says, "Fine, I won't go to China and I will just get the one I need."

So, fine! If she does not want to go to China over a couple stupid shots, whatever! So, she sits down to get her one shot. Again she lunges off the table! By this time the nurse is holding her down and telling me to hold her legs. It is CRAZY!!!! She is negotiating doing it herself. She tells the woman that she will just poke it in and do it herself. WHAT??? YUK! The nurse begins to explain to her that she gives shots to herself daily because she is diabetic. Tacia asks if she is going to have to rotate the needle in circles as she sticks it in. She says no and the she will be as gentle as she can. She finally gets the "one" shot in her. Only for Tacia to say, "wow, that didn't hurt." DU!!! The nurse said, "I am not sure what "treat" you were promising them earlier, but I think that you and I deserve hers!" She gave me a sucker :)

All of the kids were giving Tacia a bad time about her behavior and explaining that how she acted was not acceptable. When we got home and every one had calmed down Tacia and I were chatting in the kitchen. She says, "well, I just got worried when Jordon said that they had to do this (and she twisted her hand like she was digging all around with the needle) and Jace said that the needle was this long (and she showed her fingers about four inches apart)" Jace and Jordon were both in other rooms but within ear shot of what Tacia is saying. I called for both rather quickly. (Are they their father's sons or what?) They each walked in with looks that are priceless now, but at the time!!!!!! They are like, "well, I was only teasing. I didn't think that she would believe me." AHG!!!! How much fun can one person have in a day???

No comments:

Post a Comment