I am sorry for not updating this blog a bit more the last few months but to be honest, I have been getting to know my son! I know that this will not be an easy post to write but only because it will be so hard to explain. Cade made a transformation in the hospital that still leaves me in awe. He came home and suddenly realized he needed his mama!!!!! YEA! Oh, Lord how I begged you for this!
Our first night home, I was putting Cade in bed and he motioned for me to lay down next to him. It was the sweetest gesture and nearly brought me to tears. Over the next couple months he continues to count on me to do lots of things. He look my hand to the pantry for food, to the sink for water and even when he had an "owie" that needed kissed! It has been amazing! Even the sudden desire Cade has had to sleep in our bed can be seen as a blessing ... regardless of the sleepless nights :)
Muscles in Cade's face have woken up as well and he even smiles at us. It was not an easy 8 1/2 months with a child who was traumatized and grieving yet seemed to just be ornery! Cade has had to see many different people to help us on this journey. I even had to "give in" and seek after the help of a professional. I never thought that I would want the help of a professional for my children but God provided a very caring woman who has been very patient with me. She did not try to go against my religious beliefs and understood how important it was to me to not have my son labeled. She did make some recommendations that have been instrumental in Cade's progress.
Cade has been seeing a speech therapist who is very patient and kind. The first time she saw him she said, "he makes me want to cry ... he is so quiet, sweet and SO serious." I knew just what she meant and it softened me to his outbursts. Overnight he started talking to her in November and he has not held back since!
We also learned that Cade was going to need the help of an occupational therapist. My first reaction was ... "I don't see it" but at the time I did not know very much about what OT offered. Once I educated myself a bit more it was obvious that it was just what Cade needed! They are helping him with where his body is in space and bringing down his anxiety levels. We never really understood how OT could help with the issues we were struggling with. Cade has always fallen off of chairs, not liked certain clothing and took a VERY long time learning to ride a trike. He would hit his head on the counter all the time and run into the corners of our walls, as if he did not realize the wall was even there. The poor little guy HATES ice cream ... which just makes his daddy cry! I mean what good is it to go out with Cade if Cade won't give him the perfect excuse to stop for ice cream on the way home???? Just teasing :) All of this goes back to his need for OT and we are so excited to be figuring out what will help Cade progress even further.
I would not normally share so much about my kids but I want to help others. Adoption is not perfect and it can even be scary. I have learned SO much by following others journey's and hearing what has helped them. My prayer is that this information may be helpful to someone else who begins to recognize behaviors like this in their children. It is not about labeling or being in on the latest therapies, it's about helping our kids to reach their full potential. God has blessed me more than I ever imagined and He is working through these therapists and teachers to help Cade become the child of God he was created to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment